Sunday 9 November 2014

Train of Thoughts

“Hooray!” I shouted in glee (internally) as I stride my very first step into Vision College. Finally realizing the dream to become part of the education big family. “I'm there to play with the big boys!” I said to myself as my imagination starts to run wild. “Today I'm a lecturer in Vision College, a few more years down the road, with extra bit of perseverance, discipline, and a great deal of luck, I'll decorate my life accomplishments with another doctorate degree. Thereafter, my road towards professorship will be a piece of cake.”

I chuckled at my own grandiose delusions as I realized how frivolous it sounded. “I am not suppose to be in the limelight!” I told myself. “What happened to the 'pillars of the nation' that I have had learned before? The students should be the focus of education. Education is about creating a generation of intellectuals, capable of critical-thinking, decision making and problem-solving.” Lecturing is a noble career, and as such, it should be approached in a noble manner with the absence of ill intent.”

“Better yet, I'm in the Happy Team now. Two for the price of one.” I said to myself as I remembered my other complementary role in Vision College which also aligned with the ideology of creating intellectuals. It was a vague concept to me what the Happy Team was; but, after months of working closely with my beloved team and with the guidance of mentors, the objective of Happy Team boils down to “creating happiness.”


“So, what is happiness?” That's a tough question. Naturally, with my psychology background, I tend to define happiness as “a psychological construct,” “one of the six basic emotions,” “serotonin probably plays a role in it,” so on and so forth. “But how do I induce the secretion of serotonin in Vision College students?” Well, theoretically, pleasant stimuli is one way to do it; practically, to create happiness for the students, I can pour in my effort to ensure the activities are of the highest quality. In the near future, I want students to reflect on their college lives in Vision College, remembering all sorts of happening events they have ever attended, saying: “Remember that one time when we joined (insert name of an activity), that was a defining moment in my life. It was epic! Those were the good old days... (with auld lang syne echoing at the background)”

Creating memorable experience for the Freshmen.

Hence, I commit to imparting knowledge to the students as an educator, bringing happiness and creating memories to Vision College community.

Creating happiness and bonding friendship.

By,
Daniel Ho
Lecturer/Student Retention Coordinator