Wednesday 26 November 2014

Re-entry shock and going back home for inspiration and support



Everyone is wondering how I have been going through the culture shock since I had a 6-month working experience and holiday in New Zealand. Before I share my experience in handling culture shock, let’s talk about the differences in life style between New Zealand and Malaysia.

New Zealand is a relatively peaceful, relaxing and “greener” country than Malaysia. New Zealanders, we call them “kiwi”, normally prefer a slower pace of life style. For example, there are lots of outdoor activities such as hiking in spring, diving in summer, cycling in autumn and snowboarding in winter. They do not like to work over-time and they are quite particular about working overtime, I think this is the reason why New Zealand is one of the countries whose citizens possess long leisure hours. I was quite surprised when I was told that there was only 5 million people in this 2-island country (bigger than Peninsula Malaysia) and it is also the only developed country specializing in agriculture (other developed countries specialize in high-tech industry, instead). When comparing with Asian countries, kiwis are not keen on fashion, technology (getting internet connection is quite difficult in this country), entertainment…..well, being rich is not their priority…..but they can get angry if they see you littering or harming animals (the female grants pets superior rights than husband).

In short, there are many differences between New Zealand and this country.
However, handling culture shock sometimes is not that difficult if you proactively make friends in a new environment, I mention only New Zealand but this is also true at Vision College. I always take up challenges as an opportunity for growth. At Vision, the life is so fruitful that people are free to share their learning experiences with me, whether it is a good or bad story. As days go by, the connection between me and the members of this Vision family (Whether they are colleagues, superiors or students), is getting stronger. I hope you guys enjoy life at Vision and Happy Learning!

The Happy Bunch

Psychology Exhibition with my students


From,
Chew, XingJiun
Lecturer