Wednesday 3 September 2014

Adventure In Tawau

       I had an opportunity to conduct a two week musculoskeletal ultrasound course in Vision Diagnostic Tawau for the benefit of the three sonographers working there. During this time I had the opportunity to observe the daily workflow of the aforementioned diagnostic centre, which is a joint venture between Gideon Sdn Bhd and Klinik Dr Shirley Lee. The eponymous Dr Shirley Lee runs her clinic on the floor immediately above the diagnostic centre, and she regularly refers patients for various radiological examinations.

      The diagnostic centre's facilities comprise of a wide variety of services, which includes X-ray, ultrasound, mammography and computerized tomography. The lobby of the clinic is usually packed with patients as the clinic is widely known throughout Tawau for its good patient care, prompt service and accurate diagnostic capabilities.

     To ensure that the sonographers were able to absorb and retain the maximum amount of knowledge possible during my visit, I conducted all my classes one-to-one. In this manner I was able to gauge the competency level of each of them and adjust my teaching methodology accordingly. Dr Shirley Lee also facilitated the learning process by referring many patients to be scanned in order for real time scanning techniques to be demonstrated in actual clinical settings.

       After working hours I had the chance to experience Tawau at night. One of the better spots for an evening soiree is the rooftop bar of LA hotel, which offers a typical menu of pick-me-ups and finger foods, and a panaromic view of the town and the ocean. Sitting on the ledge caressed by the cool, salty breeze while watching the sunset was one of the highlights of my visit.


Thus I thoroughly recommend that Tawau is worth, at the very least, a single visit.

By 
Chiang Wei Lai
Tutor
Postgraduate Diploma of Medical Ultrasonography (Asia)