Monday 20 January 2014

Home To Down Syndrome

A great number of children suffer from Down syndrome disorder in this world today. This form of disability is perceived differently in different cultures and these affect the life of Down syndrome children. All of these children can live normal lives as normal ordinary children. Sadly, many of Down syndrome children have been abandoned by their families because they are not ‘ordinary children as us’.
I have spent my time visiting the ‘Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-kanak hyperactive & down syndrome’. I went there together with my social class students.  

There, I have learned many things about Down syndrome especially the behaviors of Down syndrome children. One boy, in particular, likes to beat/hurt himself to show his anger. He also does not like it if somebody approaches him. He likes to moan. I had to learn to be calm to approach to him. I have to agree, that Down syndrome children are so kind and they like it if somebody shows love and kindness towards them. They need our love rather than sympathy.
I am amazed when I looked towards them. 


 There, I was given the opportunity to learn how to listen, communicate and relate to people in an entirely new way. I found meaning of life and happiness from them. I learn to appreciate myself too.


Show support and love to people who really need it like the children with Down syndrome’.
By,
Narmatha Mohan
Postgraduate Diploma of Medical Ultrasonography (Asia)