Monday 20 January 2014

Benefits Of Hands On Volunteering

    I worked as a volunteer in Malawi, Africa from October 2004 – till January 2010 as School Administrator and English Teacher. The most important thing I realized to be a volunteer was I had to “get out of my comfort zone”.

    I had to go through inculturation classes, learn to be patient and learn to communicate at getting positive reactions from the voluntary work and projects . All these taught was taught to me when I was in Rome for three months while I lived with the Cannosian Organization in Rome, and worked 2 days a week at the Soup Kitchen before I left for Malawi.

    Volunteers gain skills such as community skills and the ability to work with others, take directions and lead others and the last but not least are time management skills and dedication to the work at hand.

    Volunteering normally illustrates our interest and our character to a certain extent. It has always been an eye opener to me to realize how small gestures of volunteering benefits a the receiver and the giver, and provides an emotionally uplifting experience and positive impact to the giver.

 Voluntary work helps build up communities, allows individuals to become encouraged in social services and the communities benefit from this exercise, and such happiness cannot be matched with wealth or money. It is just so amazing to see, how it enriches our lives after such an experience, as it transforms us to see the world in a more realistic manner and allows us to look at the world and its people with more kindness and we will always try to make the world a “better place” to live.


By,
Girlie Pereira
Administration