Tuesday 13 December 2016

Road to Success

"It Always Seems Impossible Until It's Done"  - Nelson Mandela

A Master journey has not always been an easy path for me. I spent my precious time for 2 years and a half to complete my Master study in University of Malaya. The years passed with sleepless nights, tears and laughter; indeed, those moments have led me to the tunnel of light. Therefore, I would fervently say that this journey has taught me several important values, if not all, to pursue success in life: independence, risk taking, knowledge seeking.

Being independent is vital for anyone regardless of what they are doing – working or studying. As a Master student, I had to be extremely independent in a process of conducting research. Both success and failure are all at our own risks. In other words, delaying your works means that you are delaying your success. This powerful reminder has always rang a bell on me whenever I tended to give up. There were many times when I was lost in this journey. For instance, I was having hard time to analyze my data using the adapted framework. I did not know where to begin; everything seemed blurry to me. So I just headed up to library and mulled over everything again and again. I then decided to show my drafts to my friends who were in the same field as me (Pragmatics) to seek their helps to comment on my drafts. Their constructive feedback on my drafts had greatly impacted me to keep going. So, the value of independence really shaped me to who I am now.  

Apart from being independent, the Master journey has also taught me to become a risk taker. Beginning with a small step, all my big dreams lie ahead; in fact, it is beyond my expectation. This is the most appealing value I learned throughout my study life because I never ever expected that we, ourselves, could do beyond what we could imagine. It helped us to become more confident and well-prepared for anything follows ahead. For instance, I took a big risk when I decided to submit my final thesis for examination without having my thesis fully checked by my supervisor due to time constraint. In fact, I was still indulging myself in the library checking all the references for the last 2 hours before the printing process. At that time, what really moved me forward were two things: to waive off the study fee for next semester and to graduate on October, 2016. Of course, I was given a chance to extend the deadline, but I realized that all the outcomes grow tomorrow could only be planted today. It is definitely worth taking the risk.


To top it off, learning is a lifetime process for everyone. Moreover, seeking knowledge is an obligation for the whole of humanity in order to build a knowledgeable society equipped with first-rate moral values and practices. So, the main reason I took this thorny road is to plant the seeds of wisdom in me. It may sound cliché yet nothing can defeat the person's determination in seeking knowledge. Truly, as a Master student, I had many chances to increase myself in knowledge from different kinds of sources. For instance, I learned a great deal of new knowledge every time I attended any talks held in my university, participated in the international conference as a presenter, and most of it all throughout the process of completing my thesis per se. By attending these events, you have a golden opportunity to have a sparkling conversation with experts and exchange ideas with them. Therefore, seeking knowledge merits your growth in becoming a better person inside out.

With all of these great values gained from my Master journey, I highly concur that a challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it. Nothing is impossible in this world with the help from The Almighty God. The only difference between a successful person and a failed person is that, the former makes it happen while the latter does not.



Prepared by,

Nur Zahraa Hanafe

Lecturer, English Department
Vision College