Thursday 10 May 2012


Buy the Ticket – Take a ride! Travel stories from Russian intern in Malaysia.

Thean Hou Teple:  Ascention


Surfing through the internet, I was trying to find something new and interesting to see in KL on weekends, I found the Thean Hou Chinese Temple. The next day at work, I asked my working collegues about this temple and they mentioned “Why do you want to go there? There’s nothing much to see!”, this encouraged me to go!
So before the weekend came, I did a search on how to get there, it was quite difficult to get there through LRT and the nearest one was at KL Sentral.  The only way to get there is by walking, which was quite alright with me.

It takes about 20 minutes by feet.  Thank god, it wasn’t too sunny that day but it was still difficult to walk for 20 minutes under 32 Celcius. When I was almost at Thean Hou Temple, I realized that I had to walk up a steep road which has a gradient of about 20 degree. At that point in time I was quite sweaty and tired. I collect back my composure and marched on.

When I first saw the temple, I was a bit disappointed. But I was wrong, when I got in, it proved that it was worth it.  First of all, as this temple is located on a highland, I could smell the clean fresh air. Secondly, when I was there, I experienced a calm and quiet atmosphere, which I find it unusual in the middle of a big city. The smell of aromatic fragrance, yellow light lamps over indoor space, symbols of buddhas. It really looked like a small China in the middle of the city.
While I was there, I spent some time inside the garden, sitting on a bench and relaxing. I also went into the temple, then walk around the Chinese Zodiac symbols and then finally went back home.

My perception of Malaysia now is more and more like “ The Whole Asia Inside One County”. This is because there is cross culture and religion, mix of nations and different native food. While my stay in Malaysia, I will definitely look for new places to see. I believe that “NEVER STOP EXPLORING!” and in Malaysia, I am sure I will be pleasantly surprised.